Please tick one or more of the options below to filter your search.
Frappes Explained Simply
Frappes can be found in virtually every coffee shop in so many styles and flavours but there’s still some confusion about what they really are.
What we do know is that we can thank Starbucks for popularising this tasty treat 27 years ago. That’s right, they brought frappes to the mainstream all the way back in 1995!
This versatile customer favourite is a great way to expand your menu, show off your style and introduce exciting new flavours. They’re super easy to update seasonally and can help to bring in even more customers. So we’re here to explain what exactly a frappe is and offer some ideas that have been firmly tried and tested.
Frappe vs Frappuccino
It’s a common question – what is a frappe and what makes it different from a Frappuccino? Originally frappes were thick milkshakes made from blending ice cream, syrup and milk. Bring on 1994 and a genius in Massachusetts thought to add a cappuccino to this creamy delight – thus the Frappuccino was born and subsequently trademarked by Starbucks.
Nowadays they can be served with a base of either coffee or crème and come in a wide variety of flavours. Because Starbucks have trademarked the term Frappuccino, they are the only ones that can use this word. The rest of us continue to call these drinks frappes and the difference is only in the name, at least in the UK and US. If you find yourself in Europe and order a frappe, you’ll most likely be served a super creamy iced coffee so make sure to double check.
Keeping It Simple
So now we know what a frappe is, we need to learn how to make one. To make a 12oz Simply Vanilla Frappe, you’ll need:
- 2 scoops (50g) Simply Vanilla Frappe Powder
- 120ml milk
- A cup of ice
Add all ingredients to a blender, blend for 30 seconds or until it reaches a smooth consistency and you’re done! You can of course decorate with whipped cream but it’s that easy to make a simple vanilla frappe. Now you have a delicious customisable base for getting creative and adding any flavour to.
How To Switch It Up
Our vanilla frappe powder makes the perfect canvas for our syrups and sauces. Here are a few crowd pleasers that follow this simple recipe with the addition of a syrup blended in and a sauce drizzled on top:
- Bubblegum Frappe – this nostalgic flavour is a firm favourite among customers, great for children and adults alike.
- Salted Caramel Frappe – you’ll see a variation of this on almost every coffee shop menu and for good reason! Salted caramel syrup is an all-year necessity in so many drinks.
- Pina Colada Frappe – the newest addition to our syrup family is perfect for a refreshing summer drink, especially for the daytime when it’s just a tad too early for something harder.
- Toffee Nut Frappe – this recipe proves frappes aren’t just a summer drink, they can be enjoyed all throughout the colder months too.
Experiment With Flavours
Not only do we have a fantastic vanilla frappe powder, but there are so many other options too!
- Pistachio & White Chocolate Frappe – inspired by a delicious pistachio blondie we once saw, our white chocolate frappe powder brings a whole new element to this drink.
- Speculoos Frappe – the caramelised biscuit flavour is perfectly enhanced by our toffee frappe powder.
- Chocolate Crème Brulee Frappe – our chocolate frappe powder is the easiest way to turn your favourite Easter treat into an iced drink for the summer.
If you’re worried about catering to everyone’s needs, you’ll be pleased to know we have vegan frappe powders as well. Available in vanilla and coffee, our vegan frappe powders are completely allergen free which means everyone can enjoy them. Take your favourite frappe recipe of ours, swap out the frappe powder for its vegan counterpart, and enjoy!